Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chicken Taco/Enchilada/Tortilla Soup

I haven't posted anything on my blog for a long, long time... so I figure no better post to start again than a recipe for this amazing soup.

This soup is so good! It's got a nice kick to it, but not spicy. My whole family loved it and it was even better as leftovers. Enjoy it.

Ingredients:
1 lb Chicken Breasts
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 14.5oz cans chicken broth
2 cups water
1 can enchilada sauce (I used red, but green sounds good too... I'll have to try it)
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies (with liquid)
1 can petite diced tomatoes (with liquid)
2 cans corn, drained
2 cans black beans, drained and lightly rinsed
packet of taco seasoning... or 3 1/2 tsp
1 bay leaf

Optional Toppings:
Shredded Cheese
Sour Cream
Crushed crunchy taco shells or chips (taco soup)
Served over rice (enchilada soup)
Corn Tortillas cut into thin strips and added into the soup 5 minutes before done cooking (tortilla soup)

Directions:
Rub a little olive oil on chicken, and sprinkle with a little bit of the taco seasoning, on each side(Save remaining taco seasoning for later). Bake for 20-25, or until done, at 375*. Shred chicken with a fork. Saute onion and garlic in a little bit of oil. Add water, broth, enchilada sauce, tomatoes, corn, beans, chicken and seasoning (including the remaining taco seasoning). Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 45 mins to an hour. If you want to cook it in a slow cooker, put in all the liquids including tomatoes, onions and garlic, stir in taco seasoning and bay leaf, add corn and beans, then place chicken on top. Cook on low for 5 hours. Remove from chicken from crock pot and shred with a fork then put it back in the soup. Stir. Cook for 2 more hours. If you are adding corn tortillas, add 5 minutes before done cooking. Then top with the toppings you want.

Number Of Servings:8-10

Preparation Time:
Depends on how you cook it. Stove - 1 1/2 hours, Crock Pot - 7 hours

1 comment:

Liz said...

I'm making this!! Most recipies for taco soup I can't use because it includes a packet of ranch dressing seasoning, which has dairy. I've looked everywhere for a taco soup recipe I can eat!!! I'm so excited, I know if it's from you guys it's guaranteed to be yummy! I think I'll try the crockpot version. What a great recipe for a cold day, I'm craving it already. Thanks Erika!!